Apr 26, 2008

Episode 06: "The Absolute" (+)

This post is less of an entry than it is a heads up:

Things have changed a little since I left.

It's happened very, very gradually, but my attitude regarding alcohol is not what it used to be. Blame it on the Jews. A majority of the Shabbat dinners I've attended this year have encouraged a positive atmosphere of moderate drinking, rather than the puke-fests I've seen at Sarah Lawrence. So the change has been welcome, and my perspective on drinking adjusted.

The legal aspects of being here have helped, too. It's legal to drink in Israel at the age of 18, so I've never felt like I've had to hide anything from anyone. Again, it's a welcome switch from the underground barfathons I've caught back home in college. And with no dirty taboos clinging to the idea of drinking here, alcohol's been somewhat normalized this side of Eric. Plus, the fact that I've just turned 21 adds that extra sigh of relief for matters on the home turf.

So thus far, it's been a drunk-free (and even buzz-free) deal when it comes to drinking. I've come into the alcohol stuff way late in the game, so I'm taking the whole practice extremely slowly. But I do realize, after many a past verbal crusade against the idea of drinking, that my consumption of alcohol may shock or appall the .06% of you who still care about my drinking habits. For you (yes, you) in particular, I've decided to put together a preparatory program of sequential pictures that should, with regular review, lessen the chances of stroke or heart attack if you ever see me drink after my return. Watch closely, listen carefully, and trauma will be minimal should the situation arise [photos reference a real life bar attendance on March 3, 2008]:

1) Eric enters a bar, sober.

2) Eric takes a tequila shot, and chases it with a lemon.

3) Take note: Although Eric's goofy facial expressions may imply drunkenness, they are actually quite common in his day to day life. Please reference this example of Eric sober before calling an ambulance.

4) Eric concludes a night with his buddies, sober and smiling.

5) Review until satisfied with results.

Shalom,
Eric

2 comments:

M K said...

aww, you're growing up, i'm so proud! what's weird is how little i drank abroad...considering the pressures of the fraternal brothers in my program. oi oi...can't wait to see you in non-buzzed action!

Johnny Kosher said...

you crack me up fool